Transportation Accidents



Medical Response: Call 9-1-1

Fire Response: Call 9-1-1

Law Enforcement: Call 9-1-1

OSU Public Safety/Security Response: Call 541-737-3010

OSU Motorpool: Call 1-866-253-5671

OSU Risk Management: Call 541-737-77350

  1. Stop and assess the situation
  2. Call 9-1-1 if there are medical or fire concerns
  3. Call 9-1-1 to request law enforcement assistance
  4. Place emergency lights/flares on roadway to warn on-coming traffic
    • If directed by responders, move the vehicle to the side of the road
  5. Request that law enforcement file a written report
  6. Follow OSU accident reporting procedures (found in OSU vehicle) http://motorpool.oregonstate.edu/vehicles/accidents-and-assistance
  7. Contact Risk Management at 541-737-7350 to report ALL accidents regardless of the amount of damage.


  • Report the accident, to the University Motor Pool by calling (866) 253-5671 and submit the State Self Insurance Claim form
  • Within 72 hours, fill out the DMV Accident Report form if there were any of the following: 1) injury resulting from the accident, 2) damages exceeding $1,500, or 3) if the vehicle needed to be towed
  • Report the accident to your manager
  • If an employee is involved in the accident, complete the web based HR Advocate Incident reporting http://risk.oregonstate.edu/workerscomp
  • If an employee is injured, complete a Form 801 (Report of Accident/Illness) and the web based HR Advocate Incident reporting (http://risk.oregonstate.edu/workerscomp)


  • Complete required training or paperwork prior to traveling


  • Review the road conditions before traveling
  • National Weather Service http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pqr/
  • ODOT Tripcheck   http://tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp?curRegion=0
  • Inspect the vehicle prior to departure
  • Snow chains (if applicable)
  • Vehicle emergency kit
  • Walk around and observe vehicle for any operating concerns
  • Observe nearby hazards prior to moving vehicle
  • Adjust mirrors, seat, and steering wheel for proper use