What to do if taken hostage:
- Be patient. Time is on your side. Avoid drastic action.
- The first 45 minutes are the most dangerous. Be alert and follow instructions.
- Do not speak unless spoken to and then only when necessary.
- Avoid arguments, or appearing hostile. Treat the captor with respect. If you can, establish a rapport with the captor. It is probable the captors do not want to hurt anyone. If medications, first aid, or restroom privileges are needed by anyone, say so.
- Try to rest. Avoid speculating. Expect the unexpected.
- Be observant. You may be released or escape. You can help others with your observations.
- Be prepared to speak to law enforcement personnel on the phone.
- Be prepared to be interviewed by officials
- Contact your supervisor to seek counseling services